Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Sep 14, 2014

I've Been Chopped

Our local library has wonderful programs for adults, teens and kids.  When I saw a sign advertising that they were doing a Chopped! competition for adults, I was in! For those of you who have never seen it, Chopped! is a show on the Food Network.  The contestants are given a basket of ingredients, at least one of which is unusual or challenging.  They are then given a set amount of time to make a dish.  First round - 20 minutes to make an appetizer.  They are judged and one contestant is chopped. I always thought it would be fun to try.  Even though there are 4 contestants on the show and 11 at the  library so there were multiple chops in the first round, of which I was one, it was a great time.  I met a lot of great people and got to use my imagination.  Want to learn more about my experience?  Read below.

Before I get to my experience, let me encourage you to check out and support your local library.  Not much is free anymore, but a library membership still is.  Books, audio books, dvd's, events - they have it all.  Some have nominal fees, but who cares?  It lets you meet your neighbors, it keeps you entertained and it supports your community.

The library provided the boxes with four mystery ingredients and a pantry.  They also had told us ahead of time that this would be done without heat.  NO COOKING????


I took my kitchen supplies and set up before we started.

The contents of the first box?  Canned Artichoke hearts, cooked quinoa, tomato paste and a child's apple juice box.  From the pantry:  Crostini, mozzarella cheese, rice vinegar, fresh rosemary, turmeric and oregano.

I made a crostini with a nest of italian quinoa filled with an artichoke/mozzarella salad. Not wanting to waste ingredients, I included a mozzarella flower on the plate.

I thought it tasted good, hubby's mom thought it tasted good, now I just had to go before the judges.  When it was my turn, I presented to the three judges.

I was complimented on the fact that they could taste the apple juice and that it had a good flavor.  However, after deliberation, I was chopped.  While we were not told why, I would have to say that it was because of presentation (I KNOW it is a weak point) and the fact that there were several crostinis.

I stuck around to see the next boxes - the entree box had canned chicken, a lime, black beans and chocolate pudding mix.  The dessert box?  An apple, cream cheese, dark chocolate chips and another ingredient that escapes me.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?



No comments :

Post a Comment